Saturday, February 11, 2006

Motherhood

In my early twenties having a child meant the end of my life. Phil and I were so busy and we enjoyed spontaneity. College came and went. We moved out of the ghetto. I was nearing thirty and we had just been through a massive test to our marraige. At the moment we decided to have our first child I had never felt so full and so positive about any decision in my life. After all the worry and preparation we were given this amazingly agreeable little girl. I named her Elena. However, after the birth certificate forms were filled out and we were preparing to leave the hospital I looked at her and KNEW that her name should have been Katie. I did not change it... and even now I see the little Katie in her. But she also makes a beautiful Elena.
We found out we were pregnant with Elena on December 10th 2002. I enjoyed pregnancy, it was good to me. I enjoy my little girl. I enjoy my family. Last night we let Elena pretend that she was going to sleep in our bed. She threw the covers over her face and breathed heavily. She stood up and told us in a very authoritative voice, "Close your eyes!" We complied, then she would say "Big stretch!" because it was time to "wake up" again.
This morning Elena dressed herself as I dressed for work. She wore my house shoes, with my silver sequined scarf and her pink snow hat with tassels. It just doesn't get any better than that.
Last night we found out that we are pregnant again.It's appropriate we found out on Febrary 10th. With this one I will wait as long as I can to see if he/she 'tells' me their name.
In my early thirties, having a child means the completion of my family.

1 comment:

smart mama said...

great blog-- Congratulations!! love this post-- i am so into names both my boys it took until the final hours before we left the hospital to choose names (much to the chagrin of the dutiful birth certificate info getters!)